Tuesday, April 17, 2007

the sun, here it comes

I was in the Vancouver Sun Run this Sunday!

here is my time. I was ahead of Ryan (who ran alongside me the whole way) by 0.01 of a second! For the record, he could have finished faster but chose to run with me. Awww.

Overall, I'm happy that we finished under an hour (our goal) but we've definitely had faster runs. We waited over an hour in the starting lineup and got completely numb with cold as we were dressed in our running t-shirts and shorts. I could barely feel my limbs for the first 3 k. As a result of the freezing (or the hour wait?) I desperately had to use the washroom at the first opportunity, which led to a 5-7 minute wait at the port a potty lineup. Bah. I had an injured knee, which spasmed near the finish, and necessitated a short break. The constant dodging and weaving around other runners took its toll, too. I was suprised at how much people bunched up on the final hill before the finish - sprinting was simply not possible.

Without the bathroom break we definitely could have hit 55 - on a very good day we could have made 52 minutes or lower. I'm already looking into other 10 k runs - I had a blast training for this one and I want to keep running, after my knee heals up. I'm proud of us for finishing our first 10k!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats!!!! I'm so glad you had a good run! Good luck on your future ones! Maybe eventually we can do one out here together :)

Rebs said...

I'm proud of you too!!
that's awesome that you endured - bum knee and all!

yeah 59:03!

sonya said...

Thanks, both of you! I'm definitely sold on the idea of training with a friend after this adventure in running - which is the most running I've done in my life! It's way more fun and it's good to have someone to hold you accountable to running, chat with you, distract you from the pain or push you to run faster when you need it.

Anonymous said...

Well, since I've never run in my life I'd have to agree with the friend thing (hopefully I was a good running partner....)

Anyways, besides being upset about being beat! I think we did a good job and you were a trooper in the race! Bring on the next one....

sonya said...

I'm excited to do more! Jolene at work gave me a brocuhre for the Pacific Spirit Run on mother's day. It's a trail run by ubc. I will show it to you when I get home.