Thursday, March 15, 2007

fun with dick and jane

Sonya and Ryan are in Ryan's apartment, watching tv.

a "credit union" commercial begins. Do you Manitobans have those? or are they the progeny of the credit unions of BC? Anyway, it begins and the dialogue sounds something like:

Lady Bank customer 1: "Just a minute; I've got to use the bank."
Lady bank customer 2: "But your card won't work here."
LBC 1: "Yes it will! It works ubiquitously!"
LBC 2: "...do you mean to say it works everywhere?"
LBC 1: "Yes! it's omnipresent!"
LBC2: (eyeroll)"That's a malapropism."
LBC1: "a what?"
LBC2: "never mind!"

Meanwhile, Sonya the TV-starved non-TV owner has been cooing that this commercial is cute and she likes it and is chuckling, but not as hard as she chuckles every time she sees that travel insurance commercial where the couple returns home to find their couch floating and the guy in a full-body cast is stuck in the car going downhill yelling "parking brake!"; seriously, that commercial NEVER gets old.

Ryan, snarkily: "I don't think they used that last word correctly."

Me: "HAHAHA! nice one."

Ryan: "what?"

....then I called him an "idiot savant" and then I got in trouble. I only wish I could be as clever an idiot savant, self-aware or otherwise.





3 comments:

Rebs said...

HA! that's hilarious!!

oh man, you would fit right in with me and my roommate Karla (she's a english linguist)...those kinds of things are a fairly regular occurence.

i think manitoba invented the credit union.

Tom said...

That is really funny... hahaha

sonya said...

oh, I don't doubt that Manitoba birthed the credit union. It nurtures all things cheap and communal. By "these", as I so clearly indicated (not), I meant "credit union commercials." Heh.